Zack MacEwen has himself a career game
Someone needed to get the ball rolling for the Vancouver Canucks and look no further than the fourth line big man, Zack MacEwen. What a game for Big Mac! He was anywhere and everywhere on Friday night, his on-ice presence was felt every time he stepped onto the ice.
More from The Canuck Way
- Which team won the Bo Horvat trade?
- What to expect from newcomers Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Räty
- Back to the future: How the skate uniforms became a regular Canucks’ feature night
- Canucks kick off 2023 with disappointing 6-2 loss to Islanders
- 2nd period penalty trouble sinks Canucks in 4-2 loss against Winnipeg
Despite only playing 7:15 of hockey in a 60-minute game, MacEwen made sure he made a difference. He got physical early and smashed around a few different Avalanche skaters with his sheer size and quick footwork. He brings that playoff-type hockey style with his game and that’s exactly what Vancouver needed on Friday night.
He chalked up four big hits, two well worthy penalty minutes, a takeaway and a 100 percent shooting rate after he went 2-for-2 against the Colorado goaltender. His game was on point, and his depth scoring is what pushed Vancouver in the right direction for the win. He was happy about the win and we walked away as the first star of the game. Now he needs to keep pressing down the stretch. A tremendous game like that and MacEwen will definitely earn the status that he’s a Travis Green kind of guy.