Markstrom’s 49 save shutout
How fitting it is that on such a special night for his fellow countrymen, Jacob Markstrom puts up an incredible blockbuster performance. His incredible play had him stopping all 49 shots he faced in elite fashion while capturing a Canucks record for most saves in a shutout. The Swedish goalie is on fire, and he wasn’t going to let this night end in a loss.
More from The Canuck Way
- Which team won the Bo Horvat trade?
- What to expect from newcomers Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Räty
- Back to the future: How the skate uniforms became a regular Canucks’ feature night
- Canucks kick off 2023 with disappointing 6-2 loss to Islanders
- 2nd period penalty trouble sinks Canucks in 4-2 loss against Winnipeg
The Canucks really didn’t deserve to win this hockey game. The team was outplayed, outshot and pinned deep in their own end for the majority of the game. The first period was atrocious trying to get the possession in the offensive zone, maybe a slight side effect of the extended ceremony. Regardless, Markstrom was sharp when his teammates were not, and his terrific game might just be his best of the season.
Without a doubt, Markstrom is building his value towards the end of his expiring contract. He’s the MVP of this team and if the Canucks remain on top of the Pacific, it wouldn’t be crazy to consider him for the Hart Trophy. Yes, you heard that correctly. This game and many others like it have proved his worth to the club.