8. D Guillaume Brisebois
Acquired: Drafted 66th overall, 2015
Guillaume Brisebois is going into his fourth QMJHL season, but the first with his new club, the Charlottetown Islanders. After three losing seasons with the Acadie-Bathurst Titan, the 19-year-old defenseman requested a trade and was granted his wish.
More from Editorials
- Which team won the Bo Horvat trade?
- What to expect from newcomers Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Räty
- Back to the future: How the skate uniforms became a regular Canucks’ feature night
- Canucks kick off 2023 with disappointing 6-2 loss to Islanders
- 2nd period penalty trouble sinks Canucks in 4-2 loss against Winnipeg
Brisebois is not the kind of player who constantly does magic on the ice. He plays a calm and steady game, simply does his job, and develops his all-around game. Furthermore, he is known for his great personality and leadership, as he wore the ‘C’ for two years with the Titan.
With the conclusion of his fourth QMJHL year, Brisebois will be eligible to join the Utica Comets in the AHL. He will only be 20 going into the 2017-18 season, so he still has tons of time to develop. Still, the way things look right now, he could become an important part of the Comets defense sooner rather than later.
From there, it could still take some time for him to break into the NHL, though. Two years in Utica should be great for his development, getting him ready to be an NHL player in 2019-20.
Next: Jordan Subban