The lawsuit between Steve Moore, Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks appears as if it is close to a settlement, but that depends on who you ask as this week has been flooded with report after report conflicting each other as the two sides look to hammer out a fair deal to move on from one of the darkest days in hockey history.
On Wednesday the Vancouver Canucks released a statement saying that the two sides have reached what is a mutually agreeable deal, but Mark Moore (Steve’s brother) is still denying the reports according to Sean Fitz-Gerald of the National Post.
A cloud of uncertainty has descended over the settlement agreement that was believed to have been reached between Steve Moore and Todd Bertuzzi, with Moore’s older brother telling a reporter there is “no deal yet,” while the Vancouver Canucks issued a release to say a conclusion “has been reached.”
Both statements were issued on Wednesday, one day after Geoff Adair, a Toronto-based lawyer representing Bertuzzi, said all parties involved in the lawsuit had reached a “firm and binding” agreement that was “enforceable by a court.”
Moore was reportedly seeking $68-million in damages stemming from an incident on the ice with Bertuzzi a decade ago. The case was — and perhaps still is — set to begin Sept. 8, in Toronto.
Speaking with TSN on Wednesday, Mark Moore said his brother told him through a text message “there is no deal yet” and that Steve Moore was not “sure what to do about all the media speculation” that a deal had been reached.
Mark Moore’s quotes conflict with the following release from the Vancouver Canucks, who were named in the lawsuit and sent out a release that the sides involved had agreed to a deal. A mutually agreeable and confidential result that came at the hands of many mediation meetings according to the Canucks release.
“Canucks Sports & Entertainment confirms that a mutually agreeable and confidential settlement of the action commenced by Steve Moore against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks has been reached,” the team announced. “The settlement is a result of mediation sessions with former Ontario Chief Justice Warren Winkler. No further details will be disclosed and the Canucks respectfully decline requests for comment.”
It should be no surprise that a lawsuit that has been in the making for a decade is stalling at what is essentially the finish line of the legal matters between Steve Moore and Bertuzzi, but there should be a final result sooner rather than later and out of court as well if the developments of this week are any indication. Moore deserves compensation for having his career cut short after all and hopefully that result is reached sooner rather than later.