“After consultation with our team physicians, it was deemed that Eddie Lack would require a procedure on his hip,” Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said in a release. “We expect Eddie to make a complete recovery and continue his professional career after a successful rehabilitation program.”
Lack had been having issues with his hip flexor since early in the season and has been out since the end of November. Initially, the injury was not believed to be serious and Lack had been scheduled to return to practice on December 5, but that did not happen as rehab did not correct the issue.
“We thought and he thought his injury would heal through rehabilitation,” assistant general manager Laurence Gilman told the Vancouver Sun. “Clearly as time moved on it appeared that it wasn’t progressing to the level that we had hoped. Subsequently, surgical intervention was necessary.”
My surgery went very well and I’m focused doing whatever I can to get back quickly! Thanks for all ur thoughts!// stork #GoCanucksGo
— Eddie Lack (@eddielack) January 29, 2013
With the loss of Lack, the Canucks will likely need to acquire a third-string goaltender regardless of what happens with Roberto Luongo. The Canucks have only one other goaltender—Joe Cannata—signed in the system after Luongo and Cory Schneider.
Cannata, 23, is in his first season of professional hockey and has played only a combined 10 games between the ECHL and AHL. With little experience, Cannata is not ready to backup in the NHL in the event an injury happens to either Luongo or Schneider.