Games up to January 14 were cancelled by the NHL on December 20 and many believe these will be the last batch of games cancelled before the entire season is called off. Commissioner Gary Bettman has maintained that a 48-game schedule must be played and when that is not possible, the season will be cancelled.
“When it gets to the point where we can’t play a season with integrity, with a representative schedule, then we’ll be done,” Bettman told the media earlier this month. “If you go back in history, in ’94-95 I think we played 48 games. I can’t imagine wanting to play fewer than that.”
It is widely believed a deal will need to be reached in the coming weeks for the season to be saved. If it is cancelled, the Sedins will be heading to Sweden quickly.
“Yeah, I think if the season was cancelled they’d definitely want to play for a while so I think they’d probably leave as soon as that happened,” the Sedins’ agent J.P. Barry told the Sun.
The general manager of Modo is former Canucks captain Markus Naslund. He has made it known that he hopes to recruit the Sedins and Naslund said in September it “would be a dream to have them in the lineup.”