Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo appeared on the TEAM 1040 on Saturday and he talked about his future in Vancouver and whether he would accept a trade to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Host Jeff Paterson asked Luongo what kind of team would he be willing to waive his no-trade clause to and Luongo responded saying he would like to go to a Stanley Cup contender.
“Obviously you want to go somewhere where there’s a chance to win,” Luongo told the TEAM 1040. “You don’t want to go somewhere where there’s absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel and there’s not a lot of teams like that in the league to begin with anyways. I think there’s a lot of good, young, up-and-coming teams that have bright futures or teams that are established now.”
“It’s a tough decision to make at the end of the day, but I haven’t been approached [to make one yet] and when I do, it’s something I’ll really take the time to think about what’s best the best decision.”
Paterson then proceeded to ask Luongo if the Canucks have approached him with possible trade scenarios and if he has supplied the Canucks with a list of preferred destinations.
“No and no,” responded Luongo. “I [have not been] asked to give a list of five teams like everybody has said. I have spoken to [Canucks general manager Mike] Gillis earlier in the summer and we’ve chatted about a few teams, but there has never been anything concrete as to where I gave him a list of five teams.”
“I think around the draft there was a rumour saying that I had refused to go to Toronto, which is not true. There was never officially a question towards me regarding whether if I was willing to waive my no-trade clause or not.”
As for whether Luongo would be willing to go to Toronto?
“I don’t think it’s really appropriate for me to give an answer on that,” cautioned Luongo. “There hasn’t been anybody that’s talked to me about that. I don’t want to jeopardize any negotiations between any teams at this point. ”
“Toronto is a great city and it’s a great place to play hockey. I’ll just say that. When that decision [comes], whether it is Toronto or not, I’ll make the best decision. I’m not really ruling anybody out at this point.