Goaltender Eddie Lack stopped 25 of 25 shots in regulation and overtime before turning aside three of four shootout attempts for the baby Canucks. Icehogs goaltender Carter Hutton stopped all 31 shots in regulation and overtime, but allowed three goals in four attempts in the shootout.
Jordan Schroeder, Bill Sweatt, and newly enshrined captain Darren Haydar scored in the shootout for the Wolves. Brandon Pirri had the only tally for the Icehogs with a deke to the backhand before sending it five-hole.
Lack, who was shaken up earlier in the game after being bowled over Icehogs winger Brandon Bollig, posted his tenth career shutout. This was Hutton’s sixth career shutout.
From the Chicago Tribune:
“Both goaltenders were the stars of the game,” said Arniel, who replaced Craig MacTavish in the offseason. “It was a little bit sloppy at both ends of the rink. We probably created some of our messes with turnovers. But … a win’s a win.”
“We’ve got some things to work on, but for the most part it was pretty good,” Schroeder said. “Everyone is kind of new together this year, and it’s our first game. We got the win and that’s all that matters.”
“I didn’t get my first shootout win until January last year, so this a little different to get it in the first game,” said Lack, who improved to 3-3 in shootouts with the Wolves after losing his first three. “It was a pretty good start for me and the team.”
- Andrew Gordon and Andrew Ebbett were the alternate captains for this game. Guillaume Desbiens was also named earlier in the day as an alternate captain.
- Former Canucks and Wolves defenceman Nolan Baumgartner made his coaching debut tonight.
Source: Paul LaTour
- Brett Sterling | Andrew Ebbett | Darren Haydar
- Bill Sweatt | Jordan Schroeder | Zack Kassian
- Anton Rodin | Nathan Longpre | Andrew Gordon
- Guillaume Desbiens | Alex Friesen | Steve Pinizzotto
- Kevin Connauton | Chris Tanev
- Peter Andersson | Brad Hunt
- Mark Matheson | Patrick Mullen
- Defencemen: Derek Joslin, Zach Miskovic, Yann Sauve
- Fowards: Michael Davies, Taylor Matson, Tim Miller, Alexandre Mallet, Stefan Schneider